16 January 2010

Chick Springs

Chick Spring is located in Taylors, South Carolina which is about 20 minutes from my home. I never knew the history of Chick Springs until I started researching and learned at one time this area was home to one of the finest hotels of it's time.



Chick Springs motel was built in the mid 1800's and for some reason, the motel closed and became a hospital. The hospital closed in the early 1930's. Many people believe the springhouse that is still located on the land had the best mineral water and people would travel for miles to buy the water--some even thought the water had healing powers. There was also a bottle company in the area that produced ginger ale and water form the springhouse was used in making the ale.

Entrance to Motel


Springhouse and Gazebo


Gazebo


Springhouse


As I stood there taking pictures, I could hear the laughter and see children running and swimming in the pool. I could really picture in my mind how beautiful the area once was and wonder why people have let it go down over the years. Chick Springs Historical Society is trying to raise money to buy the land, but I feel with the economy this may be hard to do.

As you can tell by my pictures, the springhouse has no trespassing signs posted--I can never tell you how much I wanted to get close to see if water is still in the house, but......

If you would like to read more on Chick Springs and see rare pictures from the resort--please go to the web site I have posted below.

Best
Tracy :)

More Information: http://www.chicksprings.org/

14 comments:

Nancy M. said...

I'll bet it was really beautiful in the day!

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Nancy

I have been told by a few people the motel was beautful and if the postcard is any indication--I agree with them.

Best
Tracy :)

Alyson | New England Living said...

I love historical site like that! How fun!

Sarah Laurence said...

What an enchanting place! It would be a fun place to set an historical novel

Delwyn said...

Hi Tracy
is the large building used now?

These places must have been impressive country retreats.

Happy days

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Alyson

I also love historical sites--You can learn so much.

Best
Tracy :)

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Sarah

Are you thinking about writing a historical novel?

Best
Tracy :)

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Delwyn

The motel burned--what year I am not sure. All that is left on the property are the springhouse and gazbo.

I have been told vistors came from everywhere.

Best
Tracy :)

Joanne said...

How sad to see such a beautiful place in disrepair. It's so intriguing to thing of what once was, the lives that passed through there.

Barbara said...

Interesting and an interesting building.

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Joanne

Yes, it is very sad. A major highway is not far from the site and I can only hope the county will not expand the highway.

Thanks for your visit!

Best
Tracy :)

Barbara

Yes it is a very interesting place
even though the motel is gone.

Thanks for your visit!

Best
Tracy :)

julochka said...

it's a little bit spooky-looking, i have to say...but that gazebo looks very intriguing. it's a shame when such things fall into disuse and disrepair.

Sarah Laurence said...

Tracy, I’m not writing an historical novel now, but I might one day. I was reading one, The Little Stranger, set in an old estate in the UK. You should write one with your knowledge of history.