03 January 2010

Campbell's Cover Bridge

It's not often during the week my husband and I will have a day off together, but due to the holidays he had some time off after Christmas. I took advantage of the situation and asked him if we could visit Campbell's Cover Bridge and we were not disappointed.



The bridge is located in Gowensville, SC and the drive is breathtaking, because you have Glassy Mountain beside you the whole time while driving. We could see a little snow on the mountains the day we went to the bridge.

The bridge was built by Charles Willis in 1909 and named after Alexander Campbell who owned a grist mill in the area. The land the bridge is built on was own by Sylvia Pittman and in 2005 she sold part of the land to Greenville County hoping a picnic area would be built so others will enjoy the bridge just as she and her family had for so many years. Beaverdam Creek runs underneath the bridge and as you can tell by the pictures it's a beautiful area.











I have mix feelings over a picnic area being built--I think it will take from the bridge. I guess in time, we will see if the bridge is taken care of by visitors.

Best,
Tracy :)

5 comments:

Sarah Laurence said...

What a wonderful old covered bridge. I share in your concerns that it is well treated. Nice pictures from what looks like a fun outing. Happy New Year to you and your family!

Bee said...

Why is the bridge covered? Perhaps the picnickers can go huddle there if it starts raining.

Very best wishes for the new year, Tracy. Thanks so much for the lovely comments you have left on my blog this past year.

Nancy M. said...

I love covered bridges! That one is very pretty! Sounds like a fun trip!

Barbara said...

The bridge looks suspended from the side and not to safe though I am sure it is.

Tracy Golightly-Garcia said...

Sarah

Thank-You, Sarah. I can only hope the bridge will be taken care of.

Bee

I never though of why the bridge is covered. That is a question that would be good to research.

Nancy

Yes, it was a nice trip! It was great to go off as a family and just relax and enjoy each others company.

Barbara

Yes, the bridge is suspended, but is very safe.

Thank You all for your visit!

Best
tracy :)